Friday 5 August 2016

     It all started with the movie "The Way" .  We watched it about 4 years ago and ever since I have wanted to do SOMETHING, like that.  It was so inspiring.  In my head I loved the idea of this type of travel, but my lazy nature, out of shape and slightly overweight physique told me I this wasn't going to be easy. 1000 kms or so, walking with all you take on your back across the country of Spain doesn't seem like just a walk in the park.  It seems a bit more like torture.  Watching Martin Sheen in "The Way" made it look like a great thing to do.  Blisters and all. (Which you know his weren't real because IT WAS A MOVIE). You know he didn't really sleep in the Alberque's at night.   So this idea has just roamed around a bit like a lost dog in the back of my very scattered brain ever since. 

Then a month and a half ago my Mother asked me to go walk the Camino with her in the same manner she would ask you if you needed anything from the grocery store.  Whatever my answer was going to be, I know that with or with out me, she would be going.  So in the same fashion, like can you grab some milk, I said "Sure".   
    My Mother is One of her own kind. Determined, Strong, and Stubborn.   The Queen of travel, has done it all.  She is known for sometimes coming home from a 3 week trip and flying out in less than 24 hours off to the next big adventure.  She loves a good hike challenge.  She has succeeded in the West Coast Trail 3 times, Topped Kilimanjaro within a 9 month trip from Iceland to Africa, Survived 4 months in India, Hiked Machu Picchu, Queen Charlotte track, 3 years ago walked the Camino de Santiago, and just this past Feb climbed to Everest Base camp with her sister.  So many more I haven't mentioned.  She is forever looking for places to go, walks to take.  Her forever Motto that rings in my head is "Id rather fail trying, then to never have tried at all"  She likes a good challenge.  She like to work hard.  She is my inspiration.  She is constant reminder to me that you cant wait for things to happen for you, you have to make them happen.  She has taught me that you don't have to spend your money on the fanciest hotels, or the fanciest food, or 1st class to experience things and see everything there is to see.  You can end up having a better holiday, meeting better very cool people, eating off the streets food rather than fancy cuisine, will open your eyes to the culture happening around you that you may miss.  Like the people you might meet on a bus that are just like you, travelling just like you, you wouldn't meet if you had a private taxi and private accommodations. Will Walking the Camino De Santiago will prove this theory?  If one can let go of their everyday comforts and daily routines, and just let the Camino affect you, you are bound to learn a lot about who you are and be influenced by the people you meet and places you find.

      So Cold Turkey, I will walk this Camino.   Why I say "Cold Turkey" you ask????  Well, to begin with I really don't know a thing about it except its a great big walk.  Starting in Pied De Port France in the Pyrenees all the way to the Santiago de Compostella, and if you finish right to the Coast this walk runs you approx 1000km.   I am going against all recommendations and will be starting off in brand new un-broken in boots, and back pack. I will not have trained one step.  I don't work out, I don't walk much at all.  I have never done a real hike in my life.   The one thing I know I do know for sure is I can absolutely master the art of light packing.   List and pics of my contents coming soon.
Its a long time to be away from your kids.  When you take me out of the picture, the taxi, the cook, the tuck ins, the getting ready for school, doctors and dentist appointments,   .... If I'm not here My husband will have to do what I do in a day.  Will everyone survive????   I  believe they will.  I all the confidence that they will not only survive my being gone for 6 weeks, but that they will rock it!

Sept 12 I will head out towards the Camino, Cold Turkey!

In 1995 there were 19,821 people to make the  Camino De Santiago pilgrimage walk.
In 2005 there were 93,925.
In 2015 there were 262458.

No comments:

Post a Comment